Today I’m sharing how to take a very plain big box store demilune table and make it special. It starts with adding appliques, and ends with layering lots of bright color. The finished piece looks a little southwestern, and a little like copper patina. Here is what I started with – a table I got at Kohl’s and had in my home for many years.
Here are all the products I used.
(Note: These are affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!)
- Plain half-round table (owned)
- White Lightning
- Slick Stick
- WoodUBend corner/corbel applique set #2160
- Custom Orange (50/50 mix of Peony & Daisy)
- Barn Red
- Pure Ocean
- Stormy Seas
- Satin Clear Coat
If you want tons of information on Dixie Belle paint and products, you can check out this Comprehensive Guide post, and you can download it free here by clicking the picture:
Adding WoodUBend Appliques
These appliques are made of a composite material that bends when you heat it up. Like reallllly bends, around just about anything. You heat it up with a hair dryer until it is pliable and then apply wood glue to the back of it. I like to use a small brush so I don’t get a bunch of glue squeezing out from underneath. Then you stick it in place and hit it with the hair dryer again while you press it firmly into place with your fingers.
And voila! It bonds to the surface instantly. No need for tape or clamps, and you can paint it immediately. For this project I let a little bit of the applique hang down off the apron which gives it a pretty touch.
Slick Stick Bonding Primer
With real wood, I don’t usually prime unless I’m concerned about bleed-through. But since this table came from a big box store and was made of laminate, I added a coat of Slick Stick. This provides a grippier surface for the paint.
Layers of Paint
I was excited to try a custom 50/50 mix of Daisy and Peony, thinking it was going to be a deeper peach color. Instead it turned out looking exactly like orange sherbet.
From there, I painted a solid coat of Barn Red leaving just a bit of the orange peeking through around the appliques.
I still wasn’t happy with it, so I turned to my favorite color – blue. I painted a coat of Pure Ocean, but I used a cross hatch motion and left a lot of red showing through. When that was dry, I did a wash of Stormy Seas to give a little depth and tie everything together.
Lastly, I sanded lightly with high grit sand paper to get a smooth surface. I sealed the top with Satin Clear Coat, and now it’s ready to live its best life!
If you liked this project, you may enjoy these as well:
As always, if you learned anything or were inspired here, Please Pin!